Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wanting It and Living It....

   As I read through the Psalm reading for today, taken from Psalm 72, which is a Psalm of David written to God in behalf of his son Solomon, who is designated the next king of Israel, I cannot but think of the attributes that he wants for his son, as what I would want for each of my children.

   A lot of the things are specific to the role of a king, but there is the portion of one verse, that I would love to hear people say of my offspring. Here in the second part of verse 17 he states:

   "May people be blessed in him, " (and also her in this case)

   That would sum up a life well lived, a life that has the concern for others at its center, and I see a lot of that in my kids, whether that is seen as a consideration of their own family, under their roof, the ones they work with on a daily basis, or just a casual relationship.

   What words would I use to describe what David is asking for his son, Solomon?

   Caring
   Concern
   Wisdom
   Kindness
   Gentleness
   Discipline
   Love
 
   I am sure there are more, but I see that these are attributes of God in His dealings with people, just as they are the characteristics of a benevolent parent, or co-worker, or friend. They are things that show up in dealings with strangers, or friends.

   I know that I see a lot of these traits, maybe even all, in the lives of the next generation in our family, but I also know that they don't just automatically appear. There is a God part of the equation that manifests itself in the lives of those that are sold out to this way of life, and we all need His help to live on this path.

   I need it, they need it, and we all need it.

   Only through His grace and Mercy, combined with His Wisdom, will we be able to consistently live in that way.

   May we all want it first of all, and then live it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment