Thursday, February 21, 2013

Tapping Into The True Spirit of Service

   As I took the recycle bin to dump in the big container downstairs this morning, as a prelude to my early morning walk, I noticed a newspaper, lying in the top of the bin, with this article heading "Becoming a servant is the best way to master your life". This was from the Brunswick News, last Saturday edition, and on the church page, and was also written by our pastor, who has a weekly column here.

   I thought about this as I walked, then came back and read the article in full. It struck me on several levels.

   As Mayre and I continue to watch the Downton Abbey series on PBS, I am continually drawn to the various attitudes of the characters, especially the servants in the various households depicted. Some seem to serve happily and willingly, but others as a duty to be performed. Some are glad for the position with others just trying to move on to a better place. There are many cross currents moving in the downstairs quarters of the hired help.

   I think of the Emmaus community that we belong to here. The whole experience is built around service to the new pilgrims that take the journey on the weekend walk. In fact, the application to work a walk is entitled a "Willing Servant Form".

   Sometimes we serve in community with others, as on the Emmaus walks. There is a common goal and an atmosphere of working together for a higher purpose. Individual effort is just a part of the overall, and, seeing others working with us, make it a most pleasurable experience.

   But we do not always serve in conjunction with others. Much of true service is done alone, with no one to see, no one to praise our efforts, or maybe even care that the job is done. True servanthood is dedicated to a higher purpose, and I want that spirit to be my guide.

   My prayer this morning is that God will help me to put myself and my desires out of the way so that I might serve Him and others in the truest sense of the Word.

   Let it be so, I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment