Thursday, February 7, 2013

Fixing My Eyes

   I woke up this morning, again having a song running around in my mind, and I'm not sure why it is there. There is a reason, I know, so I will begin the writing process and see where it leads. Anyway the song, the chorus anyway:

Christ be the center of our lives
Be the place we fix our eyes
Be the center of our lives

We lift our eyes to heaven
We wrap our lives around your life
We lift our eyes to heaven, to You


   We sing this song occasionally in church, but this morning I want to sit and really think about the words, and what they might mean for me, right in this moment in time.

   This chorus speaks a lot about eyes, fixing our eyes, lifting our eyes, but it is more than just shifting my gaze to another spot or two. It seems to be the moving of my heart to another point entirely. This is getting out of my small life and putting my heart in a place to get the bigger picture.

   Then I have to ask the question, "where is my focus right now? Is it only on my life and the things that impact me? Should it be? Is there something else that I should be focussing on?"

   As I looked up the lyrics to this tune on the internet, I ran across a quick video where one of the writers of the song, Charlie Hall,  is explaining how it came to be, and then he sings it. At the end of the chorus, he adds the words from a familiar hymn, written by Helen Lemmel back in 1922, the refrain of which says:

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.


   Could God be telling me, through all of this, to get my life back into the right focus? Am I so caught up in things of this earth that I have trouble seeing the big picture? Are the cares and concerns taking my eyes away from The One that has it all in His control?

   I need to hear this this morning, really hear and understand, with my eyes and with my heart as well.

   (The short video is here:)

   http://worshiptogether.com/songs/songdetail.aspx?iid=559651

No comments:

Post a Comment