Monday, October 21, 2013

A Somewhat Well Used Phrase

   At the end of today's Bible reading, in Luke Chapter 9, is this verse (translation from The Message):

"Jesus said, “No procrastination. No backward looks. You can’t put God’s kingdom off till tomorrow. Seize the day.”

   Seize the day. Carpe Diem.

   It is so easy for me to roll this phrase off my tongue and then go on about my day. Why is it that, even though these words should provide an urgency to the ways that I live, I can just acknowledge them as good and then go on?

   There is a tension between the planning of the events of the day and the trying to live in the moment. I know I have places that I need to be at a certain time today, and, in my mind I try to see what these events will hold. Yet I do not know what the day holds, or even the events themselves. The actual day is unknown, what it will look like as it happens and the opportunities and challenges that will come because of the circumstances as they unfold.

   So, does this phrase compel me to keep my ears, eyes and heart open for what will be in my path as I travel? It should, but does it really?

   It is so easy to write all of this and then to go about until the end of the day, then look back and realize that I have not paid any attention at all.

   If I write "Carpe Diem" on my hand will it make any difference?

   Let's see!

No comments:

Post a Comment