Saturday, October 26, 2013

Help, the World Is Not Flat...

   The other day I went to the eye doctor to see if I needed some new eyeglasses. I had not any big new problem with seeing, but had been noticing some difference in my ability to refocus, especially in going from the computer screen to a document and back.

   He prescribed some new lenses that would get my eyesight back up to where it should be, and the other day they came in. I went to give them my old frames, which I like and to save buying new ones which are kinda expensive nowadays, got the new lens put in, and they seemed to be fine.

   But I did get a funny feeling when I was walking and wearing the new ones. Nothing to put a finger on, just different in some way. I figured it was the new strength in one side and thought that I would get used to it and be OK. I ran several errands and got back to the condo a couple of hours later, still feeling a bit strange, but nothing bad.

   It was when I sat down to the table to eat supper that I noticed that the right side of my plate seemed to be closer to my eyes than the left. I knew the table was level, but it sure did seem that there was something under the right side of the plate that caused it to be higher than the left.

   Then I noticed, as I looked at other objects, that these appeared to be leaning to the right. I guess being outside, and using my far vision, I had not noticed this, but when things got closer it sure was evident.

   After calling the eye doctor at home to tell him my problem, and being reassured that that could be corrected, I showed up at the office when it opened yesterday. It did not take the nurse long to come up with the answer. My old glasses had a small amount of prism in the prescription, but when the doc checked me this time, he did not see the need for this. I had heard him say the word, but I did not know what it meant at the time.

   This may be an over simplification, but the prism added to any prescription causes the eyes to work together so that I get one image and it is aligned correctly. Without it, I got this weird effect of leaning objects and a surface that appeared not to be level.

   No big deal they said, and put my old lenses back in the frames. They would get new lenses with the prism added back in. Things looked considerably better right away.

   Leaving out one small thing caused the whole world to become strange.

   How often do I leave some "small" thing out of my life that can cause me to not see the world I am living in correctly? The world and people as God wants me to see.

   Time with Him, His Word and His people. Those "prisms"can get my life back in alignment.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment