Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Avoiding a Botched Job

   A friend invited me to have breakfast with him this morning. Well, he did not actually want me, he really wanted my opinion on something he was doing. I was not blindsided by his questions, I had heard about it the other day, but I did want to listen, ask intelligent questions, and then respond appropriately.

   Since this was an early morning thing, I did not sit down and read, study, pray, write before I went, but when I returned and got to the "important things", this portion of Psalm 119 spoke:

"Teach me good judgment and knowledge,"

   If I know I will be called on in meetings or just in conversation, I try to pray for God's wisdom before I open my mouth. Then I try to listen during any time to hear not only what the speaker is saying, but what God might be saying about it, too. I don't always remember to abide by that rule, but it does keep me from speaking foolishly a lot of the time.

   I want good judgment. Judgment as to what is being said, or asked. Judgment on when to respond and how. Judgment on whether to give my opinion, or to just stick with the facts.

   I want knowledge. Not just the "book learning" facts, but the knowledge of what God may say about all of it.

   True judgment and knowledge comes from Him. Relying on mine is a recipe for disaster, for anyone asking my opinion and for me as well.

   Reminds me of a picture that I took the other day. This relates to one of the old Primitive Baptist Churches that have been featured here the past few days.



   I don't know the whole story about this particular situation, or the reason it ended up as it did, but it reminds me not to be hasty when it comes to doing things right. Taking the time to seek the proper guidance, and then listening to it, can keep me away from a botched job.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment