Thursday, October 31, 2013

A Steep Learning Curve, For Sure...

   Our family is blessed to have many good cooks, and several great ones. I won't try to point them all out in order to avoid putting someone in the wrong category, but you know who you are and where you fit in.

   Our oldest son's school in Davidson, NC has as its mission:

"Our Mission: To produce independent lifelong learners 
who are responsible, contributing members of a diverse global society"

   Lifelong learners; there is where I am trying to go, even in these latter days. Several sayings come to mind:

"It is never too late to learn."

"Better late than never."

   So, what am I doing about this? I am trying to learn about other people who are different than I. Not so that I can look up or down at them, but trying to understand where they are coming from, so as to relate to them on some level. I mentioned the new web site http://seetheotherside.us/ the other day as one place I have been looking to understand others on some of the chief issues of our day.

   I am trying to learn what it means to be a true disciple of Jesus Christ. Not just a Sunday morning disciple, but one who follows in His footsteps each day and in every situation. This is a lifelong challenge for sure.

   And I am trying to learn my way around the kitchen. This may pale in comparison to the importance of the first two examples, but it is something that I want to do. The only thing that I feel competent doing is dry cereal and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but I want to do better in the cooking category. I know how to load the dishwasher and get it running, and I'm good at the clean up of the table, but after a tossed or a fruit salad, my culinary skills are pretty non-existent.

   So, I asked my wife if she would not like a "real breakfast" this morning instead of cereal. I knew that I could do the toast in the toaster oven and the bacon in the microwave. I had done things like this before, but the scrambled eggs would be a new challenge. So, when she answered in the affirmative, I set out. After some good instruction from the one who knows how, they turned out OK, and with a minimum of mess.

   A good start, but a new career? Doubtful, but I should have taken a photo for posterity. My friend Tom Holland would not have believed it.

   I might even try hot dogs for lunch.

   It is never too late to start, and, you can't do anything unless you start.

   But, oh, that learning curve.....

No comments:

Post a Comment