Friday, November 1, 2013

Sunday, It Will Be Right

   While in downtown Brunswick yesterday, waiting for my wife as she visited a store, I took my camera and wandered the street, looking for an interesting shot. There is an older building in that area, one that used to be the old city hall, that has been restored and now houses a police station. When I took this shot, I thought something was wrong, but didn't realize what it was until later.



   The time on the clock in the tower read about 10:17, but in actuality it was an hour faster. The clock face on all four sides were reading the same time, so it was not that one side was out of balance with the others.

   Were the handlers of this timepiece just getting a head start on going off daylight saving time? Early Sunday morning was the official time for changing our clocks back an hour.

   The clock was on Eastern Standard Time, while the world around it was running on Eastern Daylight Time. Maybe the clock was left on that time all year round and the people who relied on it for the correct time had to think twice in the summer to be sure of getting to their appointments on schedule.

   Then I thought this morning, as I reflected back to that scenario, that on Sunday I would not have gained an extra hour of life. The march of time had not just taken a step backwards, allowing me to go back and live that hour again. No, time had moved at its own pace, regardless of some governmental mandate. I had to adjust my schedule to the "new" time, but each hour was only new in the sense that I had not lived in it before.

   I thought of the verse in Psalm 31:

"My times are in Your hand;"

   My times, my destiny, my lifespan, are in His hands. The hours that are left in my life here are important, but what I do with them is more so.

   God, help me to use them wisely.

   That clock will tell the correct time on Sunday. Will my life be right also?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment