Friday, November 8, 2013

Yesterday Does Indeed Affect Today

   Life is not lived in little separate entities. The things that happen on one day, have an effect on all the days that follow. It is a snowball, a life that is the cumulative of all that has gone on in the past.

   An example from yesterday, not perfect, but one that an effect on my today:

   My golf tournament schedule yesterday called for me to be at the course at 11:30, for a group tee off time of 12:10. Arriving at around 11:15, the first change that greeted me was that, due to some heavy fog in the  early part of the morning, all the tee times were pushed back almost two hours.

   So, there was time for lunch and watching some of the groups completing play on No. 18. Getting to the tee at the appointed time, our group of 3 professionals moved out onto the course. When you don't start till 2 in the afternoon, this time of the year, you cannot finish 18 holes before dark. When the horn sounded to end play because of the light conditions, our group was on 15 fairway.

   There is an option for the players; mark where they are at that time or play on and try to complete that one hole. Our group was able to get everything in except for one putt of one player, who, although he could see the cup, could not see the breaks and contours well at all, and elected to try his birdie putt when play resumed Friday morning.

   The result of 54 players not being able to see, was to finish round 1 the first thing Friday morning, and then continue on with the schedule for Day 2. So the 54 pros, along with their support people, including us walking scorers and standard bearers, would complete their round 1 from the spot where play was suspended the night before.

   So, for me, it was up at 4:30, to the bus shuttle by 5:30, to the check in volunteer tent at 6:00, get to the the previous stopping point by 6:45, so that play could resume.

   When the horn sounded, and as the sun peeked over the horizon, we began play. Playing 16, 17 and 18, we finished round 1 and went to the scorers trailer for the wrap up.

   I had not realized that this would be an unusual day for these pros. They had finished round 1 at approximately 7:45, and their tee off time for round 2 was 8:00.

   For me, the day of work was over. Most of the other volunteers for Friday were just showing up for their assignments, and I was getting on the bus to go back to the parking area, where I could go on home. And I was not even scheduled to work today, anyway.

   A heavy fog on Thursday morning, had altered the plans of many and affected the lives of a bunch of tournament volunteers and players. Besides the amount of sleep I got, what else was altered because of the way events ran?

   And, maybe the morning so far has not been greatly impacted, except for sharing the time with people I may not have otherwise, but the day is young. Let's see how it all plays out.

   I was not at all connected with the fog of yesterday, why we had it or how long it lasted, and I have about as much control over the events and people that will come my way today. My schedule was impacted, sure, but there are reasons for everything.

   My schedule is His to set, and I'm OK with that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment