Tuesday, November 19, 2013

What Do I Look Like?

   There is a video making the rounds on the Internet, actually it is a Dove soap commercial, where a forensic artist makes a sketch of a person, in this case several women, from the description they give of themselves. He does not even look at them. Then he takes the words of a person who has had interaction with that first lady and draws a sketch from that also. The gist of the commercial is that the women are too hard on themselves, and they really do reflect a beauty that they do not see, but others do.

   The video is here: http://www.upworthy.com/2-people-described-the-same-person-to-a-forensic-artist-and-this-is-what-happene?g=2

   I thought of this as I looked at a self examination sheet that I need to fill out for a discipleship class that I participate in at church. There are 30 character issues that I am to respond to with either a plus, minus or zero. Plus being that I do that, minus that I do not and the zero for sometimes. Then I get to add up the pluses and see how I am supposed to stand in regards to all of that.

   How I rate myself. How others might rate me. Are those the most important things?

   If I am honest with myself, I might gain some perspective on my life, but it is a big "IF".

   If I desire the good thoughts of others about my life, I can spend my time trying to look good without truly being good. That is not good either, whether anybody knows it or not.

   How does God see my life and what I do and think and say?

   He is the ultimate judge, regardless of my thoughts or others reactions.

   And He is the One that I want to give me the "thumbs up" and say "well done".

   Don't let me get caught up in the other two scenarios.

No comments:

Post a Comment