Saturday, November 2, 2013

Preparation

   This may be a stretch, but it might work.

   The Scripture from Luke 12 this morning:

 “Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom his master will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes."

   There are some things in life that you can prepare for. You may not know the exact hour circumstances will present themselves, but you can have things in place to act when they do.

   For several weeks now, there has been a visitor to our nearest pond on the golf course. Now, although he might think that we are the visitors, he has made that pond his temporary home for the time being.

   I have wanted to take his picture, but when I carry my camera, he does not show himself. Besides it looks a little foolish to carry all the equipment I need, while I am playing golf.

   As I finished my 9 holes yesterday, there he was on the last hole, just sunning himself on the bank. "This might be my chance to get him". So, I finished the hole, walked back to the condo, got the camera with the zoom lens, got my wife so she could see him too, got in the car and drove over closer to the pond. I had my tripod in the trunk anyway, so I had what I needed.



   Since I had the right lens, I could take the shot from the other side of the pond. Could be safer that way, I figured. But when he just lay there, I decided to go around the end to his side, and see what I might get. I did, and saw him up close and personal.



   The verse above speaks of preparation, but it also takes application. The servant knew the things he needed to be doing to be prepared for his master's arrival, and he did them, not just thought about them.

   My example of preparation is puny I know, but it does remind me that my life is full of surprises and there is a time to take advantage of them. As I moved closer to my friend, I heard a splash, and he was gone. But I did get some shots before he left.



   As I wrote all of this, I realized I did not know if my friend was a "he" or a "she", but I guess that is ok. You don't know how big he was either, or how far away I was when I took that last shot.

   Preparation includes that zoom lens and also an ability to crop the picture in the computer.

   Oh, that life was that safe and convenient.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment