Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Decisions..We All Have To Make Them

   Way back in 1741 the Moravian Church made a decision, one that needs to be my daily practice 272 years later.

   As a backdrop to this I point to a time in our own church where out pastor led us to read the Moravian Daily Texts as part of a spiritual emphasis time. I liked their messages so much that I continued to read them as part of my own quiet time in the mornings. Today the heading on the text was "Chief Elder Festival" and, after I read the daily reading, I went back and looked up the definition and use of this terminology.

   The background: The Moravians had a position called the Chief Elder, and he bore the responsibility for leading these believers in all things. As the church grew and its mission expanded, this role became overwhelming, causing the man who held the office to just say he could not do it. When the church met and thought about this situation, God led them to a new arrangement. They had already acknowledged that Christ was the head of the church, as the Bible taught, so they put Him in His rightful place as Chief Elder.

   In thinking through what that might mean, both then and now, I came across these two paragraphs from the Weekly Moravian Message for this day, November 13, 2013. Let me quote them here:

"When we are faced with important decisions as individuals and churches, it's natural to respond with the same approaches used by the world around us: we gather information, weigh possibilities, make a choice, and act. We become "decision makers." But what if, as our forebears believed, Christ our Chief Elder is willing and able to actually lead us? Doesn't this suggest a profound change in our methods? Instead of simply "deciding," aren't we instead called to "discern"-to discover and follow the will of our Chief Elder?

Discernment begins when we open our decisions to God, intentionally inviting God's leading. It includes "making space for God" by identifying and releasing our preconceived notions, biases, and fears. Prayerful attention to the witness of Scripture, noticing God's activity already at work in a situation, and receptivity to the input of trusted Christian sisters and brothers have their place. Faith, humility, silence, and patience are impor-tant too. Discernment-we Moravians might call it "consulting with the Chief Elder"-is a learning process, centered upon our desire for God. For those willing to pursue it, it is an adventure. Who knows where our Chief Elder might lead?"


   I thought about how I make decisions, and how much better it would be for me to follow these ways. When God says "My ways are not your ways", I know that His are better and that my life, both secular and spiritual will be better to follow His. There is a lot to unpack in those words above, and I can think on them for a long time.

   Then there is this question at the bottom of the message:

"Are you facing an important decision? Have you consulted your Chief Elder? Will you decide . . . or will you discern?"

   I want to discern, not just decide.

   Who knows what might happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment