Thursday, November 14, 2013

Space...For What Purpose?

   One of the definitions of the word space, used as a noun, is:

"freedom to do what a person wishes to for his or her own personal development"

   Today, as I was reading, that word appeared and jogged my memory back to yesterday. It was in one of the readings of that day also, in a part that I had quoted in this blog.

"Discernment begins when we open our decisions to God, intentionally inviting God's leading. It includes "making space for God" by identifying and releasing our preconceived notions, biases, and fears."

   We use the word to denote a lot of ideas, and it takes many forms, noun, verb, adjective, but the way that I think of it this morning has to do with an individual's private, personal space, especially in the mind.

   I hear people say things like, "don't get in my space" or "I need my space", referring to the room they need to be themselves, but when you think about it, that usage is pretty self centered. When we fill our lives with activities, no matter how good, that are all about us, we don't leave much room for others or for God.

   I guess that is one reason I like the early morning quiet time. I can dedicate it to God and what He would like to impress on me. At the very least, it is a time that is open ended, and I can try to still my mind and heart for more things than just me.

   In the quote I used yesterday, and again today, the term is used "making space", as in it is something that I need to do. So I do have a role in this whole thing, a freedom to invite God into that empty space that I have made.

   Seems like this making space is like a dike, holding back the water from flooding. There are a lot of things that will fill my space if I just clean it out and leave it there, thoughts and ideas, plans, dreams, regrets and various others. Some of these can be God's filling, but I leave that up to Him with the purposeful invite.

   Come Lord Jesus, Come

  

No comments:

Post a Comment