Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Another's Journey Leads Me On Mine

   This has been a strange morning. Not anything to do with the way the day began, but the way this writing has played out.

   First the journey to this moment in time: I got up pretty early, read my Scripture readings, and the Moravian ones for today, the Jesus Calling entry and then went for a stroll. Coming back in I ate breakfast and then waited for a repair guy to come and fix a door. While I waited I read some on the chapter of the Discipleship book I had as homework for the session tomorrow.

   After calling and finding out that the "repair guy" had forgotten and would be here early in the morning (he wrote it down this time), I thought about what I needed to do this day, realizing that having something to write in my blog post was pressing me a little. I do not like having to say that nothing I did this morning in the way of study or prayer or whatever, nothing was worth putting on paper, Then a phrase I had heard hit me:

"The unforced rhythms of grace"

   I looked up the phrase in Google search and got a bunch of sites that had incorporated that phrase, most going back to the Scripture in Matthew 11, but one that intrigued me...a blog post from a girl in Canada who was fighting through Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. So I began to read.

   From her writing, she is a strong Christian, so her work centers mostly on her feeling of being loved by God, regardless, and how she has received His peace through her journey.

   These words she posted one day:

   "Someone is praying for the things you take for granted"

   I don't know where all of this leads me this morning, I have only thought this far and don't know what I might be led to say about it. Whatever comes after these lines will come, and the end is not for sure, but here I go......

   I know I am blessed. I have written that many times over the past years, but until I read this little line, I did not really know how much. I probably still don't, but I can put my blessing into more perspective.

   Someone is praying for a little food to ease their chronic hunger. Someone is praying for a sick child or one that is slowly dying. Someone is praying for a cup of cold clean water to drink.

   And there I am praying that the "repair guy" will come soon to fix my front door so that my air conditioning will not all leak out and my electric bill go higher as a result.

   Relate my plight to someone who does not even have a door, or electricity, or money to have something fixed, or have something to fix, and you can see how pathetic my prayers are most of the time. Even when I thank God for my blessings and acknowledge His role in all of that, I don't even know how great they are.

   So I sit here chagrined at my lack of concern for others and get a glimpse of why God has lead me on the "rabbit trail".

   Now He has spoken,
   Now I have realized the "me" in all of that
   Now what will I do?

   Want to read this girl's blog journey? Go here:

   http://lifebeyondthewindow.blogspot.com/2013

   And pray for yourself, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment