Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A Haunting Question: "How much do you?"

   I woke up this morning thinking about a couple in our church whose daughter has a problem pregnancy. I got an email yesterday, asking for prayer for all of them as the doctor told them that the baby needs to be delivered ASAP. Not knowing whether this event had already happened, I prayed for all of them in my early morning quiet.

   Then to underscore the uncertainty of any day, I looked into the Jesus Calling website to see what the thought was for today. This has not happened to me before, but as I looked for today's post, it was not there. Yesterday's came up again, and, thinking that maybe I could hit the button for the next blog and get today's. I did, and the click took me to another website blog. As I looked at it, I found out that it was written by a mother of five kids, who periodically updated her family's adventures and important events. Scrolling down the pages, I came across a poem that she had written after she lost a child two short hours after he was born.

   As the tears came to my eyes while reading this, I prayed that my friends and their family would not be going through the same thing today, and then as I walked in the cold time before dawn, I thought of all the other folks, even some of those whose houses lay dark and still, right then, and what their own concerns or problems might be as another day began.

   There was a full moon retreating in the western sky and a brightness in the east as a new day began, but how many people would not have even noticed either one because of the weight of concerns and problems? I could not tell what each door held behind it, but God knew and He cared.

   That last line can be so easy to write down, but so hard to comprehend when the storms of life break over a person, but sometimes it is all we have to hang onto. God's promise is that he will never leave us or forsake us.

   God broke into my schedule to tell me that He cares, and then He asks me the question: "How much do you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment