Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Rosca de Reyes

   We were watching a cooking show last evening, Chopped, and one of the ingredients the competing chefs had to use in their entree round was a round loaf of bread called a Rosca de Reyes, which is translated from the Spanish as "king's ring". Inside the loaf, one or more plastic figures of Jesus were placed, and there was a significance attached to the person who discovered Jesus in their piece(s).

   There was no religious connotation on this TV show, but neither was there any belittling of the name of Jesus, it was simply part of the narrative.

   Part of the devotional reading this morning was the statement, "People who have used the name of Jesus as a "shoddy" swear word will fall down in terror on that awesome day". This is referring to the end of days when the Scripture says that "every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord".

   Inwardly. I shutter when someone uses the name of Jesus as a swear word. Perhaps it is the way I have been brought up, but I know it is also because of what the Bible says about that use of the Name. I confess that I do not even like the use of "Jeez" as it seems to me of just a more polite way to convey the same thought. Even though it may be a bit Pharisaical, I don't even like any use of "Gosh". A mere technicality, maybe, but God sees the heart, and our language reflects that.

   I believe that the Bible teaches that we will account for every idle word spoken. I've got enough idle words out there without resorting to swearing, especially when the names of the Trinity are used.

   A lot of people's language is so ingrained with these terms that there is not a second thought when they pop out of the mouth, but it seems to me that we all, especially those who call themselves Christian, should have a better vocabulary than that.

   The culture around us is full of such usage, but that does not make it right. We may live surrounded by that culture, but we are to be a peculiar people, ones that stand out as we use the names of God, Jesus and The Holy Spirit in a reverent way and not as slang.

   I know that I have enough sins in my life without putting that one in my pocket, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment