Friday, December 6, 2013

Sometimes, You Just Have To....

   I am sitting here in the spot where I generally am at this time of the morning, my little room, on my sofa, with my computer, reading, praying and writing. I am also looking back to the experiences of the past couple of days and seeing God's leading in my life. But I need to explain....

   On Wednesday, we left for Arkansas to see our daughter and her family. It is easier for us to travel there, due to our flexible time schedules, than it is for her to come this way. So we planned to go and spend a few days before Christmas, just to be there. I had looked at the weather forecasts for the period and realized that it was to be cold, with a chance of some sleet and freezing rain, plus a little snow, over the time we would be there, but we could put up with that.

   When we got to Starkville, MS on Wednesday evening, after a bunch of hours in the car, Donna told us that their forecast was now calling for a significant chance of ice with possible widespread power outages. In fact, just 3 hours before we got to our motel, the National Weather Service had issued a severe weather outlook for the very part of Arkansas that we were heading toward. It was not to take place until after our planned arrival, so the driving was not the issue, it was the aftermath on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

   What to do? We could get there OK it seemed, but then what? We would have to make a decision the next morning whether to drive on and arrive before the storm, or wait somewhere to see if it really ended up as bad as they predicted, or just go home and try again some other time.

   My nature is to be cynical and say that it would not be "that bad", and go ahead with my plans. "You know, they always give you the worst possible scenario, and the chances are good that it will not be that bad at all".

   So, it had been a long day of driving, and we needed to get some rest, and we could decide in the morning on Thursday. I confess that I prayed a lot as I looked at the weather forecasts. I knew that I needed good counsel and wanted God to show us what to do for the best for everyone. We wanted to see the kids, but did not want to be just two old people in the way if there was a significant weather event.

   The next morning, the severe weather prediction was still in place, it was a cloudy day in Starkville, and I felt that God had said "Go home and don't try to second guess your travel plans. Just get on the road and go before you have to drive east in bad weather". And so we did....

   As I read this morning, in this familiar spot, these words from the Psalms were there:

" I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
 I have set the Lord always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken."


   I looked at the weather radar for Conway this morning, and it was filled with pink, the color for icing. What would they get? Would they lose power for some time? It had not all taken place yet, there was today to deal with before they would know, but I had acted on what I perceived God had spoken, and I felt good about that.

   So, I had at least a couple of prayers for this time. Thanksgiving for a safe trip home and the counsel to make that return trip, and concern for family still dealing with the weather.

   Without even knowing what the final outcome will be on the weather, I feel good about acting on what I perceived was God's counsel. The fact that I did not just barge on and complete the trip that I had planned was, in fact, a trust that I needed to display.

   One preacher on the car radio yesterday talked about "My times are in Your Hand".

   My feeling exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment