Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Is It Fall?

   One of the things that I miss by living here in paradise (with a small p) is a real distinctive change of seasons, one of which is Fall.

   When we lived in Tennessee, or later on in Virginia, when Fall came on, it was noticeable. Cooler weather and a slash of color out in nature's realm.

   But down here is totally different. Yesterday it was near 80 degrees while the rest of the country coped with a myriad of cold weather problems, so it was not cooler weather. The changing of the color of the leaves is mostly absent from our surroundings. Sure there is the occasional bush or tree that has a change to it, but live oaks and pines do not produce anything but falling leaves and needles.

   So it was with a bit of pleasure when a spot of color popped up on my morning walk. Even though the day started off cloudy with a bit of fog, as I walked through a subdivision near us, I spotted something that was not of a gray hue. Coming closer, it was a crepe myrtle (not sure if it is classified a bush or a tree), but it provided a welcome bit of color on a dull foggy morn.

   This crepe myrtle had been there on all of my early morning walks over the past weeks, but it took a dull gray day combined with the contrasting leaf colors, to bring it into my conscious thought. The fact that it stood out so much at that time made me wonder where my mind and eyes had been on previous days.



   How easy it is to just go about a daily routine and fail to see what God has put out there. How many the time that I do not notice my surroundings, whether it be nature or people.

   Just a reminder from The Creator, not to take so much for granted, but to open my eyes to all He does for me on a continuing basis each day, even when I just amble through the fog.

   Thank You


Amen

(PS: since I had no camera with me in the morning, I had to go back at noon to get the shots.....hence no gray look, but sunshine. Same myrtle, different time of day, but I still saw it)

No comments:

Post a Comment