Saturday, December 14, 2013

Season of Giving (And Caring)

   Tis the season of giving. Bells are ringing outside stores, people are standing near pots ringing them, people are encouraged to drop their loose change in there or more, and we are all reminded of folks around us that are in need, not just less fortunate than us, but really in need, desperate need.



   Our church is doing a special time of meeting needs inside the congregation and other needs that members may bring to the attention of the body. This outreach was so well received, both by the givers and the receivers, that it is happening again.

   Sure, I can put some money in the pot, or write a check to the church to be used for someone's needs, but is there more I can give?

   How about a caring heart? Not acting just to make my ego feel good, but to really care about people, to see their faces and hear their stories, and to feel their pain from whatever cause. How about looking on others as individuals, not just stereotyped groups? Not just the needy around, but all the faces that cross my path.

   A lot of the time, I am cynical. I tend to attribute the motives of others as what I would do in their situation, but, in reality, I can't know. I am not them.

   I will give my money this season, and I will even spend some time ringing the bell to remind others of needs, but I pray that I will do more.

   I pray that God will help me care, really care, that he will help me look beyond myself, to see others, really see them, and have a heart attitude that pleases Him.

   Not only in this season, but always.

No comments:

Post a Comment