Thursday, December 12, 2013

Five Action Words

   We might do well to read the entirety of Psalm 37 this morning because it is filled with actions to take to lead a fulfilled life, but I wanted to zero in on one particular portion. The way the psalm is laid out in my reading, this comprises one complete paragraph and hangs well together.

"Trust in the Lord, and do good;
dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.
Delight yourself in the Lord,
and he will give you the desires of your heart."


   I look at the action verbs included in this section of Scripture:

   Trust, do, dwell, befriend, delight, all right things to do in my life, all actions that provide positive outcomes in a life lived in those ways.

   Trust in God, not in anything or anyone else. Easy to say but hard to do in all circumstances, especially not trusting in myself.

   Do good, to all those people that God puts in my path, each day, every day. Seeing them and acting rightly toward them, whatever that means in each life.

   Dwell in the land of my own circumstances, not wanting something else in the present or in the future, but seeing what God wants me to do here, right now. Not living in a land of regret for the past, nor a projected land of the future, but an awareness of the "now".

   Befriend faithfulness by making this trait central in my life. Faithfulness to God first of all, to my family second, the ones he has given me a measure of responsibility over, and then last of all to myself. The JOY formula, Jesus first, Others second and Yourself third, faithful in all.

   Delight in The Lord, being thankful for what He has given and being satisfied in that, truly satisfied.

   I see it written down, the rightness of these 5 actions, but, oh to see the result of living those in my life on a consistent basis.

   Seeing and writing is a start, but only that, a start.

   Living is the key.

No comments:

Post a Comment