Friday, August 14, 2015

Change and Stability

   Heraclitus of Ephesus is supposed to have coined the saying that the only thing constant is change. Now I have been to Ephesus and can attest to the fact that that ancient city has surely changed since Heraclitus lived there.

   As I get older, all around me I see change. In people, in attitudes, in surroundings and even in myself. We live with it every day, in fact, seemingly in every minute of every day.

   My kids are all in their 40s and 50s. They have sure changed and continue to do so.

   My wife changes as she continues to battle some health issues.

   I'm definitely not as spry as I used to be.

   The good ole USA is changing, even as we live in the midst of it.

   Change can be good or bad, according to your perspective, and your personal attitudes regarding the facts of it.

   Wednesday, I had cataract surgery. A fifteen minute procedure produced a left eye that can really see a lot of stuff in a new way, without glasses. What a change, and I'm happy about change.

   When change is good, in our view, we can embrace it.

   When it is bad, as we see it, we can rail against it or be depressed about it.

   Is there no absolute middle ground that we can stand on and find some stability?

   The reading in Our Daily Bread for today, focuses on the verse in Hebrews 13 (verse 8):

   "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."

   There is ground around me that is not always shifting and always constant.

   God can be the author of change and the answer to it at the same time, and that is worth holding on to today in our world.



   Embrace today's in His Hands.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment