Monday, August 3, 2015

Just Asking...

   Yesterday our pastor gave a message from James, Chapter 5, beginning with verse 1. The passage goes on into verse 5, where James talks about:

"You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. "

   There are always  questions on my heart when I read what the Bible says about the use of wealth, and hoarding, and giving.

   How much is enough to have for the future?

   How self-indulgent am I?

   What does God see in my life and in my checkbook?

   Two things happened later on Sunday that I was reminded of this morning.

   1. Leaving the service yesterday, I ran into a friend and his comment on the sermon was "bad timing on my part". I questioned what he was talking about, in reference to the message, and he continued with "I bought a boat yesterday". Then it was obvious, the message got him, too.

   2. Last evening, as I was working on some pictures of the other day at sunset, this one jumped out, and I realized just why. There was that boat analogy again.



   Even though the message spoke to me, I had quickly put it aside to feature the situation of another. I was not judging him for buying a boat, just thinking about what he had said about the timing of the purchase and the message of James 5.

   The pastor asked two questions before the message:

   1. How many of you know someone who is rich?

   2. How many of you would say that you are rich?

   Almost all the hands went up on the first one and none on the second.

   Most of us classify someone as being rich as one who has quite a bit more than we do. In relation to the world at large, we are all rich, way up in the top 5% at least.

   And how am I using all that I have been given?

   What are my spending priorities?

   And importantly, what does God think?

   "We have met the enemy and he is us."

No comments:

Post a Comment