Saturday, August 8, 2015

This Man Could Be Right

   Like a lot of other people, I watched most of the Republican debate from Cleveland on Thursday night. I wanted to see the candidates, hear what they were passionate about and catch the interaction between the persons at the podium. I even caught some of the early debate.

   My politics fall on the conservative side of most issues. While I have voted for candidates that have the (D) beside their names on the ballot, in national elections the (R) men and women seem to hold values closer to mine.

   That disclaimer aside, I just want to say that the man that impressed me the most, in spite of his just making the top 10, was Ohio Governor, John Kasich, and I think it was his "unconditional love" moment that moved me the most. Google that if you have not heard the sound bite in its entirely.



   The Governor gave that short statement in regards to a question from the moderator on the subject of Gay Marriage. The question referred to how he would feel if he had a child who was gay or lesbian. Would he love them?

   Without hesitation, "Of Course"..

   The rationale he put forth would not only include his kids and family, it would take into account those friends and others that God had put in his path. His comment was:

   “God gives me unconditional love. I’m going to give it to my family and my friends and the people around me.”

   When I read his book, Every Other Monday, I picked up on this theme, his caring about people, starting with his family and continuing to those who needed what he might be able to give.

   His is a breath of fresh air in the political arena. I know he has been in politics for a while now, but he appears not to let any self-importance take center stage in his life. He seems grounded in his faith, and that faith comes out in the way he speaks and the way he governs.

   His is an uphill climb to the Republican nomination for President, but I like his style and substance, and I think he brings a new dimension to the race. The country could do far worse. His voice of civility is needed, and perhaps Washington could work again.

   Shirley Jones sings a song in The Music Man about the kind of man she could love:

   "a plain man,
     a simple man,
     a straightforward and honest man…
     one more interested in me than in himself
     and more interested in us than in me"

   We need a leader to be interested in us, all of us...

No comments:

Post a Comment