Thursday, August 27, 2015

Today's Living

   How does my attitude each day, depend on how I look at tomorrow and the days that come after?

   I got a sobering look at that question these past couple of days, and, frankly, did not really like what I saw.

   First of all, it seems like there may be at least three ways to approach the future as I live in today.

   1. I can dread what I think is coming and constantly worry about what might be.

   2. I can look forward to future days and plan and dream about what will happen.

   3. I can take each day as it comes and live in it.

   There is that old gospel song:



   I have thought about, tried to live in its thought, and even written about the wisdom of it back through the years. Living each day with purpose and taking what God has for me in it, as He wants, seems a great way to live in the moment.

   But it is hard, not looking back at what we regret in the past or even glorying in past happinesses, or looking forward with anticipation and/or dread, conjuring up images of great joy or doom. Living in the NOW is a catchy slogan, but not easy to do.

   For a few weeks now, we have been working on a trip west to see friends and family. I was doing a lot of planning of how to drive it and see sights along the way. It is a long way from the Atlantic to the Pacific, but we thought we could do it and have fun along the way.

   Then other considerations got involved, and we waffled each day on whether or not we should go or not. One day it seemed good, and we agreed that it was a go, the next, potential problems loomed and the decision was in doubt.

   I found my mood altered by which scenario was prominent that particular day. My planning, and the good times those plans anticipated seemed about to go under, and I was disappointed. My mood was good if it was a go, and bad if it looked doubtful.

   Looking forward to the good times ahead became the focal point of each day, and when they seemed doubtful, the day got dark.

   Good day or bad depended on what we were going to do, and how much I looked forward to it.

   I was conscious of living in the now, but that "now" consisted of my plans for the future, and my mood and attitude reflected those.

   It has been said that we all need to have something good to look forward to. We are happy and our moods reflect that, but when those anticipations vanish, disappointments can prevail, and we are sad and gloomy.

   That is the way that I found myself this week.

   And then I thought of that song.

   God was in control…

   It had been "my plans", "my happiness", "my control", Not His.

   How about joyful anticipation about what He will bring today, and the todays in the future?

   How about a grateful attitude and not a selfish one?

   How about living today with Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment