Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Five Peas in My Hands...

   Sitting on my couch this morning before going out to walk, I took a moment to pray for the day and for guidance in it, whatever it might bring.

   As I finished and opened my eyes, I looked down and my hands were open by my side. Just a position of supplication, I guess. I did not think I had consciously done it.



   Then when I returned from the early outside, this was in the reading from Our Daily Bread:

"Father, I’m grateful that in all of life Your purposes are being accomplished. May I learn to have open hands—to accept whatever You give to me and whatever You take from me. Help me to trust Your heart."

   Open hands:

   A symbol of "Thy Will Be Done"

   I open my hands to receive what God wants me to have.

   I open my hands to show that what I want to grasp and hang on to may not be the best for me.

   I leave it up to God to give or take away.

   Five "P" words come to mind. Things that I want to hold on to, but may need to be let go of. I didn't ask for all these thoughts to begin with the same letter, but this is what came:

     Plans: my plans for today or next week or farther out in the future. They may be good in my eyes but not the best as seen from God's eternal viewpoint. I need to plan, but don't need to hold them so tightly.

     Purposes: Why do I do what I do, or plan what I plan? My purposes need to be subject to a higher calling than my own will. I need to be willing to let them go or willing to change them.

     People: Folks in my life are important, to me and to God. But I have to give up trying to manipulate the circumstances surrounding them and my interactions with them. My thoughts about them and for them can stem from my selfish desires for all concerned, but mostly me.

     Possessions: I like what I have. It brings security and happiness, I think. I not only want to hang on, I want to add to. God owns everything, and whatever I hold in my hot little hands is just on loan.

     Playthings: Toys are important, I think. They bring joy, I think. They are mine, I think. They may even define my life. Then a thought creeps in "get a life".

   I want to add to the prayer above:

     Father, help me to get a real life, one that pleases you and benefits others and myself. Help me to uncurl my fingers from around "my" things and my desires.

   Help me to Trust You,

   Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment