Monday, May 21, 2012

Challenge and Response

   Last evening, we finished up leading the Truth Project for a home group in our church again. We have done this a few times and each time I get to the end of the 12 lessons and have to ask myself, has it made any difference in my life? Have the truths embedded in the sessions changed me in any way? Several times in the course of the study, the study leader of the recorded lessons would state an obvious fact, that if each of us who watched the sessions on the DVDs really believed the truths presented, we would become world changers.

   It is easy to come away from the last meeting with a conviction that I should be different, that I should live and breathe and talk and act in a new way, because of what has been presented. I can agree with all the facts and the challenges of the lessons, and I can see things in my own life that need change, but if that is as far as it goes, it matters little.

   It can be the same when I get up off the pew after hearing a sermon that moves me, or I read a book that convicts me, or the morning devotion speaks to me. God has presented me with new opportunities to make a difference through these means. They are not just there to entertain me. There is a new day to live in the light of what He has shown. God is faithful to keep giving me these chances, but how will I respond?

   If I look back, a year from now, on what I have written this morning, what will I see and feel? Will I have regret that I did nothing with what has been presented to me by God, or will I see some progress to a life lived as He wants?

   The faithfulness of God is not in question. He continues to put those precepts and opportunities in front of me, but He does not force me into compliance.

   How will I respond this time around?

No comments:

Post a Comment