Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Divine Illness?

   I plowed some ground this morning. One of the things I mentioned about this concept was to make myself available and be in a place where God might speak to me. So, this morning I got up and went to a Wednesday Bible Study where our teacher is going through the Book of Revelation. He is in chapter 3, finishing up where Jesus is speaking to the seven churches of Asia Minor (Turkey today).

   No matter what I read in my study this morning (working on it after coming home from the session at church), my mind wants to go back to what was taught just a couple of hours previously. Jesus is speaking, through the pen of John, to the church at Laodicea and he writes:

   15-17"I know you inside and out, and find little to my liking. You're not cold, you're not hot—far better to be either cold or hot! You're stale. You're stagnant. You make me want to vomit. You brag, 'I'm rich, I've got it made, I need nothing from anyone,' oblivious that in fact you're a pitiful, blind beggar, threadbare and homeless."

   It is easy for me to say that this is a picture of the church in America today, well, most of them anyway, and a picture of the average Christian American church-goer, but then I have to place my life alongside this standard. Is this the way that God sees me?

   It is a picture of an apathetic, self sufficient person, outwardly recognizing God and giving lip service to a life of service to, and dependence on Him. Would the mug shot hanging on the wall under this description look like me?

   Do I really want to hear Jesus say "You make me sick"?

   Let it never be.

No comments:

Post a Comment