Sunday, May 20, 2012

Help in Reading

   I use an internet site, Examen.me, to get my start each day on studying a Scripture passage and seeing how it relates to my life. The first thing it asks me to do is to take a few moments of time and compose a prayer to begin the process. This is an attempt to put the cares of the world behind and to focus on the reading and its meaning in my life.

   If I believe, and I do, that each Scripture has a message for me, and that it is no accident that I am reading it on a particular day, then my focus should be on, not only what the literal words say, but their relationship to a particular time or circumstance in my life.

   I thought of all of this as I began this time. It is afternoon and a lot of things have already happened today. We got home from our trip late last night, got up pretty early and made it to the early service at church. After picking up our mail for last week, and making a short stop at the store for milk, we came home and fixed lunch. After consuming that, I sat down to read the passage for today.

   My stomach is full, it is raining outside and, in short, it is a sleepy time. The condo is quiet and I suspect that my better half is resting comfortably. If I close my eyes to pray very long, I'll be out, too.

   I need help every day that I study, but especially today. If Jesus does not show up to lead me, I won't get a thing, or at least, I won't receive what He has for me this day. The important thing is that I realize that I need help, and that I look for it in the right place. Anyone can read the facts and know what it says, but supernatural help is what I need to read, examine and apply the Bible passage to my own life.

   Jesus says "I am the way, the truth and the life". If I want the truth then what better person to lead me to it, than the one whose truth it is.

  He is my Help.

No comments:

Post a Comment