Sunday, May 6, 2012

Motives and Specifics

   This morning at church, a man, who has worked with me in prison ministry, gave me a packet from a man that he supports financially. Several days ago, when I was trying to find a way to help another man who had recently gotten out of prison, I asked about a program that could help him regain his life again and start over in the work world. The packet I was given was in response to that requested need.

   When I read the verses for today in Luke 12, I feel a tension in what I see in the world that needs to be done and what I do about it.

   "Speaking to the people, he went on, "Take care! Protect yourself against the least bit of greed. Life is not defined by what you have, even when you have a lot."

   Most every day in the mail comes one or more requests for financial help. Almost all of these are pleas from organizations and ministries that we have supported in the past. All of these are ones that are serving God and doing a good job (in our opinion). They are worthy of support, but often I just say "Oh, no, not again".

   Where is the balance in all of this? How much can we do? The needs are great, sure, and the rewards for giving are sure, too, so what do we do? In order to avoid a guilt trip for not giving to a particular cause, or for not responding to an urgent (like we are going to have to shut down) situation, we just tear the letter up before reading. Maybe if we don't know about the need it won't count against us.

   What does God see in all of this? Does He see us hoarding our resources for a future day and not giving to the current needs around us?

   I want to be generous. I want to help where and when I feel led. I want God to be pleased with my efforts along this line. I want to be right.

   I have no answers, but sense that prayer for guidance is the best way to go. I just want to bless as God has blessed me.

   At least the motive seems to be right even if the specifics are hazy.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment