Monday, May 7, 2012

The Parable of the Plowed Ground

   Here is a portion of the reading for today, from Matthew 13 in The Message:

   "What do you make of this? A farmer planted seed. As he scattered the seed, some of it fell on the road, and birds ate it. Some fell in the gravel; it sprouted quickly but didn't put down roots, so when the sun came up it withered just as quickly. Some fell in the weeds; as it came up, it was strangled by the weeds. Some fell on good earth, and produced a harvest beyond his wildest dreams."

   I guess I have always heard of this passage referred to as the Parable of the Seed or the Parable of the Sower, but, as I read it over again, it seems to me that it might also be the Parable of the the Ground. The sower may sow all day long and the seed may be fresh and good, but if the ground is not prepared, there is little or no harvest at all.

  If the ground can represent my life, do I have any responsibility in this whole process of hearing, really hearing? Now, I do not want to get mixed up theologically, but it does seem that there are things I can do to facilitate the hearing of God's call in my life, to really hear.

   I can put myself in places that His voice is easier to hear. I can take away distractions, and I can consciously make time to be in His presence. I can read the right things and watch and listen to voices that can bless my life, rather than confuse it or tear it down. There are choices that I can make that will make it easier for my ears to hear.

   I think of the farmer, how he prepares the soil to receive the seed. But he does not stop there. He also  continually tills the land during the growing season. This process lets the moisture sink in and also rids the soil of the weeds that will choke out the good plants, lessening  the harvest. This illustration needs little explanation.

   When I think of prepared land, my mind's eye sees an Amish farm, in the Lancaster, PA area, all neat and well ordered.


When God sees my land, I wonder what He sees?


No comments:

Post a Comment