Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Looking Forward to a Wasted Day?

   So often life is like today. We are traveling to Chattanooga in a hour or so, to see some old friends for a couple of days and then going to a resort area in North Georgia to spend another short time with a couple that we shared life with back when our kids were small. We look forward to both of these visits even as we sit in the car for some hours to get there.

   But what of the time spent getting to our destination? Is that part of life also? Is it just a transition time, a time to be gotten through and void of any importance?

   The obvious answer is no, and I think of a phrase that I wrote down some years back. I got it from somewhere, but the source I do not remember.

   "Life is what is going on while you are waiting for the future".

   Jesus' disciples got after Him for sleeping in the back of the boat when the storm raged around them. They did not understand who He was. The analogy is not good, but I do not want to sleep through a day of my life, just waiting for a future event to happen. There is a day to be lived today, even a day traveling.

   Jesus rebuked the wind and waves, but I don't want to hear Him rebuking me for wasting 6 or 7 hours on the road.

   Life is the journey, not the destination. Let me be aware of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment