Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Open The Blinds

   In the middle of the section in Matthew 6, where Jesus talks about laying up treasure in heaven and not trying to serve two masters, there appear these verses:

   "Your eyes are windows into your body. If you open your eyes wide in wonder and belief, your body fills up with light. If you live squinty-eyed in greed and distrust, your body is a dank cellar. If you pull the blinds on your windows, what a dark life you will have!" (The Message)
   Again there is the old contrast between light and darkness. There is no doubt that it is the light that I need to have, but what is He trying to tell me with this illustration? How do I "pull the blinds on my windows"?

   If I pull these blinds, I can't see what is going on outside myself. I would be completely self-absorbed. Nothing would have any meaning except that which I carried around inside my world. Even if I turned on the lamps in the room, the light would be artificial and sterile.

   But I am not supposed to shut myself off from the light, that light that comes from seeing what is going on around me, seeing the people that God brings into my life, opening my eyes to a world of possibilities that exist outside my personal windows.

   No one comes into my life and just opens up a box of darkness, I have to choose to shut the blinds myself. God's light is out there, I just need to pull the cord and let it in.

   God help me to open the blinds to all you have for me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment