Thursday, May 10, 2012

To Boldly Go....

   Today, the Scripture reading is from the final chapter of Matthew, the 28th, where Jesus gives the eleven disciples what is commonly known as the Great Commission. From The Message it reads:

   "Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."

   These verses are used as an emphasis for foreign missions, for home missions and other Christian causes, but what do they personally mean for me at this stage of my life? They could mean all of the above, but they have meaning for me just for the day that is stretching out before me as I write and think on this early morning.

   I know some things that are on my schedule, but I do not know how they will work out exactly. I may have plans to interact with some people, but I do not know all whose lives will intersect with mine in the hours of this particular day. How will I act? How will I show what I believe? What does God expect me to do today?

   Jesus tells the disciples that He will be with them, not bodily as they saw Him that day, but in the form of the Holy Spirit. This same Spirit will be my helper also, in all of the places and situations that come my way, even today. I just need to heed His call and use His help in everything.

   Believing what God has said in His Word and acting accordingly on these promises, I can be His faithful servant, even in my ordinary life today.

   Or, in the words of the introduction to one of the Star Trek series adventures, "To boldly go...."

   Jesus uses the command "Go". Where will I go today?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment