Saturday, July 7, 2012

Be Prepared

   I thought about this motto from the Boy Scouts this morning: Be Prepared

   I think about the preparation of the professional golfer, not only how he or she prepares for their work over a long period of time, but how they prepare for one day in a tournament. After watching a little bit of the Greenbrier Open yesterday afternoon and reflecting back on a lot of books I have read, I tried to get into the mind of a player. As I sit here this morning, I try to put myself into the place of a man that I see at church on the Sundays that he is not involved in trying to make a living playing on the PGA tour.

   Jonathan Byrd, tied for 2nd place along with 4 other guys, going into Day 3 at the Greenbrier site in West Virginia, has spent hours honing his game, but how does he prepare for the pressure of this particular day near the top of the leader board?

                                      

   Of course, I do not know for sure, but I can imagine that he will spend time on the range this morning, getting the feel of his swing. He will be on the putting green, testing the roll and speed of the greens on the course, and he will develop his game plan for attacking the course that he has played for the last 2 days. In short, he will be attempting to get his physical side to be ready to hit his shots.

   Then there is the emotional and mental side of the game. How in the world do you get that under control in order to play in that pressure cooker? The answer lies in the area of control.

   I read this statement by Jonathan, earlier this year:

   "I realized that control of a game with many variables is impossible. Whatever I treasure the most will control my heart. Whatever controls my heart will control my behavior. May God be my treasure. HE is big enough."

   Is he sitting down and taking the time to connect with his God this morning at the same time I am? Could be and that preparation is the most important for golf and for life.

  Will he win the tournament? Only God knows that, but he will be a winner in the eyes of The One Who Matters most.

   Then I hear "Go Thou and Do Likewise".

No comments:

Post a Comment