Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Goat In A Sheep's Wool Coat?

   Even though I used the verses from Matthew 25 the other day, as I related some stories from the sermon time on Sunday, they come up today in my regular reading, and I visit them again in a little different setting.

   The Biblical section is entitled The Parable of the Sheep and Goats, and concerns some actions taken, or not taken, by people that show their priorities. Jesus praises the sheep group and chastises the goats. In fact, praise and chastisement are too mild an outcome, the actions of the people (with animal designations) affect their eternal destination.

   Jesus says:

   "I was hungry and you fed me, 
   I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, 
   I was homeless and you gave me a room, 
   I was shivering and you gave me clothes, 
   I was sick and you stopped to visit, 
   I was in prison and you came to me."
   These folks did something, and what they did showed the character of their lives, they cared about others. If their lives consisted of these kinds of actions, they understood most of what Jesus taught about relationships. Others became the focal point of their lives, not themselves.

   It is too easy for me to look at these actions and see one that I occasionally do, like go into prison and visit some guys, and pat myself on the back and say I qualify for praise on this. What about all the other stuff? Do I even notice someone in need, much less actually help them? Do people actually register on my radar screen except when I can gain something from them?

   I know my selfish self, and, even though I can maybe put a check next to one line of the verse, too often these other lines show my true heart:

   "I was hungry and you gave me no meal, 
   I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 
   I was homeless and you gave me no bed, 
   I was shivering and you gave me no clothes"
   God, You have given me so much. Help me to love others like You do.

   I need to live like a sheep and not just pretend to be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment