Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Three Causes

   In the midst of Psalm 45 are these words:

   "ride out victoriously for the cause of truth and meekness and righteousness;"

   Three words to live by, but how do I do that?

   First of all "riding out" denotes action, and victoriously is a confident attitude. So I can picture a warrior, at the head of his men, leading them forward with assurance and a consciousness of right action. Why is he so confident in what he is doing? Because his cause is right and he knows it.

   He rides out for the cause of truth. Not just "his truth", that which he perceives it to be, but absolute truth, the truth of God. I know that absolute truth sometimes has a bad connotation these days, because it takes away the individual from the equation. Is what I perceive as true, really true, or is that all I can know, and maybe someone else has a better perception. I guess that is what is meant by relative truth, truth for you and then truth for me. But behind all of that posturing is the concrete of God's truth, the only one that matters. At the end of the truth confusion, there must be one absolute concept and that is God.

   How about meekness? Seems like a "I'll let anyone walk over me anyway they want, and take it" mind set. Is that true meekness, or is the use of the term here one of quiet strength, of the assurance that there is one right way, and I will follow it, regardless. There is a lot of talk today about "self", but most of the jargon seems to focus on a self esteem that receives its validity from what I can do and who I am. There is another way, and that involves self assurance, a way that revolves around who I follow rather than who I am. The focus on "me" is replaced by one of dependence and a knowledge of the truth of God for me.

   Lastly there is the righteousness issue. How can I get there, knowing me as I do? It is surely not by comparing myself to any other person. I can always find someone worse, but is that the comparison that leads to that right living? The Bible says that "there is no one righteous, no not one", so I can't be that on my own either. Only if God declares me righteous can I actually be, not matter my thoughts of my own goodness, and that is only because He does not see me standing there, but Jesus, who I trust to take away my sins.

   What a word picture, a warrior riding out (probably on a white horse) knowing that he goes forth in the cause of truth, with the humility and self assurance of meekness, and right standing with God, to do battle, leading from the front and pointing his followers to the way.

   The causes are right, the true leader is Christ, and can I be one of his follower-leaders, at least in my small sphere of influence?

   Good examples, but hard achievements. For me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment