Friday, July 20, 2012

Plans for Today and Tomorrow

   This morning begins the last full day of Drew's visit to us this summer. He has been here a week, and his parents will be here tomorrow to pick him up and take him home. It has been a good week, one filled with activities that I hope he has enjoyed. We have played tennis, a lot of golf, some games here in the condo, a bunch of meals together, some pool time and just a lot of being together.

   This boy has a life stretching out in front of him. What will it look like? I know he has a good heart and a soft one at that. He is a typical soon-to-be-12 year old boy, with his silliness and his likes and dislikes, but he prays the sweetest prayers, and I think that God will continue to place His stamp on his life.

   Like a boy standing in an empty soccer net, wondering what will happen next, he just needs to know that God knows.

  

   I think of that verse in Jeremiah 29 that speaks to a future for Drew:

   "I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for. 12"When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen."

   God really knows this boy. He sees his future. He has plans for him, plans that include more than just another round of golf, or another trip to the beach. God's plans are to bless him and put him in the places that are right for him. There is no way I can know the exact scenario, but I can be assured that God is in control and that what He has in store will be the best for Drew. However long or short that life may be will not matter, if he lives it in the shadow of God's will.

   The future stretches out before Drew, as indeed it does for all of our grand children, and this morning I pray for each one by name, that they will be drawn close to the God who created them, and that they will be led to that plan for their lives that will, not only give satisfaction to them, but will bring that eternal satisfaction that is God's will for their lives.

  I see the light of a new day coming in the window and soon there will be a boy standing in front of me with the question of the day: "Papa, what are we going to do today?"

   God is ready with an answer for that, I better be also.

   Golf anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment