Sunday, July 22, 2012

I Need Time to Sort This Out

   This morning in church, John talked about who God is in relationship to each of His believers. I guess I had never looked at some of these truths in this way.

   I know from the Scriptures that God is strong, powerful, a mighty warrior, an everlasting God, omnipotent, omnipresent, creator, and a lot of other things, but He is also:

   Intimate and involved with each of His creations
   Accepting and filled with joy and love
   Warm and affectionate
   Always with me and eager to be with me
   Patient and slow to anger
   Loving, gentle and protective
   Trustworthy and wants to give me a full life
   Full of grace and mercy
   He gives me freedom to fail
   He is committed to my growth and proud of me, his beloved child
   I am the apple of His eye

   All of the above come with a Scripture verse to back up each claim, but it is hard for me sometimes to think in those terms. I want to think of God as a Creator and an all powerful being, that rules over everything. I want to think that He is loving and does care about each one of us, but then I have to get it down to an individual person, me.

   It is much easier for God to be just "out there, looking on", rather than wanting to be with me all the way. He wants to be "my Dad". He wants to be in relationship with me as I want to be in relationship with my kids.

   That can only happen when I choose to spend time with Him, when I want His thoughts and advice, and when I make the effort to know what He thinks. I think it also takes a quiet time, maybe just thinking about all He is and wants to be, and trying to get my head around those facts.

   My Heavenly Father is My Dad?

   Let me digest that for a while.

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment