Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Who Is Calling?

   Where does my worth lie?

   I have heard it preached and said a lot of times. "your worth is not in who you are as represented by what you can do now, or what you have done in the past", but it is hard to break out of that performance mold.

   When I was younger, a lot of the time my self worth rested on who I was in the business, or community or church world. It also had a lot to do with what I could do in the athletic arenas of golf, or tennis, or cycling or running. Not that I was great, or anything like that, but I was able to compete some at my age level. At least I was active and not a couch potato.

   I confess that even today, I like to hear someone say, "I hope I can still do that when I am your age", and a lot of that talk centers around the sport activities that are still on my calendar. I like to play, and I still like to be relevant in those areas. I have bought into the whole self esteem mode of worth from performance, and some days God sees fit to point out the error of my ways.

   Yesterday I had the opportunity to play in a charity golf tournament, held at an exclusive club that I had not played before. I looked forward to the event, partly because of the new venue, but also because I had been playing pretty well (for me anyway), and I could be a contributing factor for my team of friends.  I could have, but I did not, and, when our team won the first prize in our flight, it was because the other team members performed well, and I was just along for the ride and the scenery.

   Then God seemed to say, "put it all in perspective and realize where your worth comes from", as the verses from Psalms 62 showed up on my computer screen this morning:

   "For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence,
for my hope is from him.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
On God rests my salvation and my glory;
my mighty rock, my refuge is God."

   My worth is only who I am in Jesus Christ, not on the golf course, in the community, or the professional world, or even the church. I find that I want the any glory for myself, and it is His alone, or should be anyway.

   Come on, Don, you know it, but you sure don't show it a lot of the time. It is God calling you, not the Senior Tour.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment