Monday, July 2, 2012

Family Matters

   We have just spent a few days with part of our family, the ones that live the longest distance from us, over in Arkansas. They asked us to come to Atlanta when they were to be there for a wedding. Since they were bringing their two kids, and knew that we did not get to see them enough, they arranged to come a couple of days early so that we could have some time with all. It was a good time and we appreciated their efforts on our behalf.

   Since our family is spread out, in 4 different states, it is hard to get together. If we make it once every couple of years at Christmas, that is an accomplishment, and, as the grand kids grow up and have lives of their own, it gets harder each year. It is something that we enjoy, but it is not always easy.

   I guess my idealized family situation is all of the kids and grandkids growing up in the same place, maybe even the same compound, like on a big farm with separate houses for each family, but many times of fellowship and sharing their lives. That would be a time of watching them grow up, participating in the events of their lives, seeing the extended family living and working and playing, and, in short, being together and liking it.

   But I also know that there is a danger in all of that, too. I have seen, and have also witnessed, close families that were held together by the dictatorial attitudes of the father or mother. There is control situated at the top of the family structure, and fear becomes the dominating factor. Father knows best was not just a TV show, but the way of life for some families.

   I thought of all this while I was reading the Scripture in Matthew 23 this morning:

   "Don't set people up as experts over your life, letting them tell you what to do. Save that authority for God; let him tell you what to do."

   I don't want to be the authority for the decisions of my children and their families. That is way too much pressure for me, and they don't need that kind of dependence on anyone else. God is the One who will be there for them, and I want them to find, and take advantage, of that final authority.

   It is true that I raised my family to be independent, and I wanted them to be dependent on no man. I think God would want that also, and His control is that of love and the best for each one.

   Submission to God equals independence from man, and I need that just like all my family.

   But I still kinda like the scenes from Little House on the Prairie.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment