Saturday, July 21, 2012

This House Is Quiet..Maybe Too Quiet

   It is Saturday afternoon. The Virginia parents have taken Drew north, back toward his home in Blacksburg. The house is quiet again, but maybe I would welcome a little noise.

   When I think back over the 8 days that we had him with us, I remember a lot of fun times, not any worthwhile disagreements and a bare minimum of conflict. What few times we had to remind him of what he needed to do, or not do, he would just smile, say he was sorry, and thank us for letting him come here. Of course I know that grand parents are super indulgent, and perhaps that contributed to the amiable atmosphere.

   Most of the daylight hours were spent playing, and, by far, the most prevalent activity was golf. I'm sure he would have played more, but the old man had to rest sometime. If we were not playing, we were watching the British Open on the tube. Drew is a knowledgeable about the game and its players, so it was a treat to do it together.

   As the week progressed, his shots got straighter and longer, and resulted in a couple of pars on the final nine of the day on Friday. But the driving and putting were not the only things that I could see getting better, some maturity was emerging in the game as well. There was still the disappointment when his shots went awry, but he did not dwell on that, but bounced back ready to make it right on the next attempt, most of the time. Maybe it was the fact that all the golf balls he was hitting into the pond were mine, but I think it was more. He was growing up.

 

   So I will look forward to the the next time we can play together. Whether it be here or in Virginia, or somewhere in between, we will have fun together, and that is the important thing.

   The only trouble is, the two holes he parred on that last day, I bogeyed. I sure hope that does not become a habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment