Monday, July 23, 2012

Knowing and Living It Out

   In the Psalm reading this morning, these words appear from Psalm 56:

   "This I know, that God is for me.
In God, whose word I praise,
in the 
Lord, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I shall not be afraid."
   This is a Psalm of David, and David says that he knows. There is a surety there. David has been through some tough times, and God has been there for him. Some of the bad times are the result of bad decisions on his part, and some because of the wickedness of his enemies, but he has seen the hand of God work in his life, pulling him out of the pits, self made and otherwise.

   Benjamin Franklin, who is purported to be a Deist, and not a follower of Jesus, recognized this fact as he addressed the delegates to the Constitutional Convention in 1787. He said:

   I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth- that God Governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?

   God works in the affairs of men. A blanket statement to be sure, but if I bring it closer to home, I know that God works in my life as well. The combination of the working of God in the lives of all men produces his outcomes.

   It is only when I take the time to sit and think, that I see where God has worked in the past. Can I see His hand in the present, in my common ordinary life that I live out each day and in the very minute that I spend writing these lines? If I see it in the past and feel it in the present, can I not trust His hand to be there in the future as well?

   I know that I am apt to move along the path of my life without much regard for God and His plans and desires. It is only when some verse or quotation stirs my mind, that I step back and acknowledge His work in my life and His call on it.

   And so I know that He has led me to think about all of this today. I know it is true, but the question for me is: Will I remember it as I live out these hours before me? Reflection and remembering are good and profitable for a man, but is not living it out the desired end?

No comments:

Post a Comment