Thursday, July 26, 2012

Living or Just Existing?

   As I read the Scripture in Matthew 27 this morning, I am struck by the reactions of several people to the events of the crucifixion of Jesus on that Friday.

   The disciples of Jesus scattered, John to take care of Mary, Jesus' mother, Judas to commit suicide, but the rest in fear of the same punishment.

   The women, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary, sitting by the tomb in sorrow.

   Joseph of Arimathea taking the body and putting it in his new tomb.

   The religious leaders, fearful of a plot to steal the body from the tomb, posting a guard there and making sure that no one could get into the area, at least without their knowledge.

   All of these reactions to the events of that Friday, reactions of courage in the case of John and Joseph, reactions of sorrow by the two women, reactions of fear by most of the followers of Jesus, and the reaction of the high priests and Pharisees of concern lest their whole plot be negated by others. The disciples were worried that the religious leaders would come, and those same leaders were concerned that the disciples would come.

   But who was anticipating the return of the man that was in that tomb? It looks like no one considered that possibility. The Pharisees remembered that Jesus had said he would rise in 3 days, but the others did not even remember that at all. There was no eager crowd surrounding the tomb area, waiting for Sunday morning in anticipation of the event.

   Was that Sabbath Saturday just another day at the Temple, the events of the day before just filed away in the memory, a day of shock and disappointment for some and a day of no consequence for others?

   I read all of this narrative and forget that real people lived all of this out. It is not just words on a page, but the story of flesh and blood folks, and I can see myself in all of that. I have to ask myself all those questions, probing the attitudes of the people involved to find mine.

   Is this just another day, or is it somehow different? Is there any anticipation of something, anything? Could I hear Jesus say "I will be with you", or will I just get up from this exercise of writing and go about my usual day? Am I up or down or just existing? Does it matter?

   Yes it does. Each and every day is a gift from God, and I need to treat this one as such. I may sit and wonder how I would have reacted in that long ago day, but what really matters is what I do about today.

   Live and not just exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment