Monday, August 27, 2012

Fun or Winning

   Here is an old saying of mine, probably came from someone else, but I don't know who, "If a game is worth playing, it is worth trying to win." Or I might have put it, "If you are not trying to win, why play"? Or I could have couched it in a more benign way, "Do your best".

   Are all of the above just a form of pride? Are there any other reasons to play besides just to win?

   Then someone says, "the object of any game is just to have fun and bring enjoyment into your life".

   Vince Lombardi is quoted as saying, "Winning isn't everything, it is the only thing".

   So, what brings all of this to my mind this morning? Could it be that I can't cut the mustard any more and have to settle for the fun thing? Can it be fun just to play and not to win? Can my pride stand to just  do my best, when my best is not too good?

   Can it be that there is a lesson in all of this? Is that lesson to cut the pride and just have fun, if that is possible, or is it, tongue in cheek, to choose my competition more wisely?

   One of the verses from the Gospel reading this morning says,

   "and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

   I think I already know the truth on the questions above, but can I live it out?
  (Or maybe this stage is only temporary and I can begin to have success again, just trying harder.)

   Oh, that pride thing is hard to put down, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment