Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I Want You

   As I woke up this morning, the thought hit me "why are you getting up, anyway?" What is the purpose of what you do? Do you have any real purpose?

   I guess it is easy to feel that way when you are retired. Back in the days of yore, when there were jobs out there that needed to be done, so that a living could be made, so that a family could be taken care of, it was easy to make that the overriding purpose of life. But what about now?

   In the Gospel reading for this morning, I find Jesus responding to his twelve disciples with these words (from John 6):

    “Did I not choose you,"

   Jesus had called them out of what they were engaged in, called them personally, and said "follow me". They may have had some inkling of what He was choosing them for, but surely did not know the full extent of the call. They just followed.

   If I take the Scripture words above as a passage for me, and they sure seem to be this morning, what does that mean? As I sat down to read and write in this time, I did not open my computer to find a to do list in my inbox, sent from above. Sure, there are a couple of items on my schedule for today, and I'm sure they are on there for some purpose, but are there other reasons to be up and about?

   I think of the poster from WWII:

 

   I am alive, living in this place and time, interacting with these people, even having this quiet time. Why?

   Even as I was sitting here, contemplating, I felt a prompting to write an email to a couple in our church to encourage them. Was that part of my purpose of today? Was it "the purpose" or is there more on the horizon, even for these next hours?

   "Did I not choose you?"

   What else is out there, waiting?

No comments:

Post a Comment