Saturday, August 18, 2012

Surprises, Blessings and Donuts

   It is scary sometimes, how the mind puts things together. Take this example, that actually came to me yesterday, but continues to be on my mind this morning as I read this portion of the Psalm passage for today:

   "Blessed are the people to whom such blessings fall!" (Psalm 144:15)

   The other day, while Mayre Lou and I were running an errand with Lucy, our second grader, in Blacksburg, we decided to stop in the local donut shop to pick up some treats for breakfast the next morning. It was around 4 o'clock in the afternoon and the shop was almost ready to close for the day. After selecting several different kinds, to please the various tastes of the household, we purchased enough to make a dozen, and the boy behind the counter said "That will be $6". At that point I realized that I only had $2 and wondered out loud what I should do. The boy said "That will be OK, you can have them for $2 and we'll call it even". Surprise and blessing number one.

   We decided, on the way back home, that we should hide the donuts and let Lucy surprise the family with them the next morning, when we would already be on the road back to St. Simons. Of course, it was easy to hide them from the other two kids, but the parents found out, and we told our story of the bargain. The next morning Lucy brought out the treats, surprising Drew and Caroline, making the breakfast special for that whole household. Surprise and blessing number two.

   I can imagine the look on the face of the sales clerk in the donut shop, when, that same day, Doug stopped in and gave him $4 to pay the remaining cost of the sugary treats. Surprise and blessing number three.

   A surprise and blessing for Mayre Lou and I that we got a bargain.

   A surprise and blessing for the family that got to eat that same bargain.

   A surprise and blessing for the sales clerk as he was given money that he was not expecting.

   God surprises me with undeserved things in my life each day. Maybe I should not be surprised, but I know I am blessed.

   Besides, we "borrowed" two donuts from the box and had them in the car on the way home. Not a surprise, but definitely a tasty blessing.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment