Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Updates are Available

   As I sit down to write this morning, a message flashes on to my screen, or actually, an application is bouncing in my dock. I then see a message that reads:

   "Software updates are available for your computer. Do you want to install them?"

   Then I get some choices:

   Show details

   Not Now

   Install

   I had just been reading some parts of Psalm 119, where the psalmist writes:

    "Blessed are those whose way is blameless,
who walk in the law of the Lord!
Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,
who seek him with their whole heart,
who also do no wrong,
but walk in his ways!"


   and another section reads:

   "With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!"

   With my whole heart. Now there is a phrase that causes me to stop and think. From what I can see of my heart, it is not wholly attuned to God. There is too much other stuff in there that pulls me away from what God would like me to be. While I am not exactly sure what God wants me to look like, I realize that I am not close to being there. I need an update.

   But I am in a hurry, so I do not click on the Show Details button or the Install button, I just hit the Not Now one and move on to other things.

   Software updates are created to upgrade my computer, to make it more efficient and to take advantage of the programs that are loaded into it in a greater way. Or it is to fix a bug or flaw in the application or system. Why would I not want this? Do I just want my computer to run in an inefficient way because I am comfortable with how it operates now?

   Could it be that this is my life also? Am I comfortable, satisfied or even pleased with the way it is now, even though it is not the best? No Way!

   Help me, God, to hit the Install button, to allow You to work and upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment