Monday, August 13, 2012

How Quick I Forget, Then Proceed on My Own

   In the Psalm reading from Psalm 106 this morning:

   "But they soon forgot his works;
they did not wait for his counsel."

   How fast I am to forget and how fast to rush on to my own decisions. I can sit here all day, reading about the way the Israelites were blessed by God's mighty hand, and how they immediately forgot all of this, complaining and murmuring, and then do the very same thing. Maybe this is why all the Old Testament history is there for me to read.

   I can acknowledge His blessings with real gratitude. I can read what He tells me when He says for me to wait on the Lord, and then go out and do something that seems right to me.

   It is hard to wait sometimes. It is much easier to ask God to bless what I do and then go out and do it, hoping that it is the right thing. The harder thing is to put the request out there for guidance and then listen. The answer might be yes or no or wait, but I need to listen for it.

   Is the reason that I do not wait that I don't trust my heart in listening? Or maybe I don't want to hear the "wrong" answer? Or maybe I don't listen, except for the one answer that seems right to me?

   Regardless of how I catalog my shortcomings in this area, they are there, and the admonition is to remember who it is that cares about me, and be willing to wait, expecting an answer that will be right for me and that will come in God's time frame, whenever that is and however long it may take.

   Wanting to go my way in my time is my strong suit, not all this listening and waiting.

   Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment