Friday, August 17, 2012

Help Me to Notice and to Care

   Yesterday we drove home from Virginia after a few days with the family up there. As is our custom on a lot of long trips, we rented a book on tape from Cracker Barrel to make the trip go a little faster. It was a pretty long book, and, in fact, we did not get through it before we got home. This book was a story of justice, and our question, when we had to turn it off, was "would justice be served?"

   Would justice be served or would evil triumph in the end of the story? I'll have to hear the rest of the book to find out the answer to that question, at least in the plot of the author, but I think I know the answer in the real world.

   I am reminded of the certainty of God's justice in the Psalm that was mine to read this morning. From Psalm 140:

   "I know that the Lord will maintain the cause of the afflicted,
and will execute justice for the needy."

   God is a just God and He will work it all out in the end, even when we do not see it happen in front of our eyes. Ultimate justice is His. Not the author of some book, but His.

   Is there something in the whole justice thing that becomes part of my responsibility also. Not ultimate justice, but a need for me to do something?

   Bill and Gloria Gaither have written a song that contains these words:

   "Where a child is hungry, where men have no homes. 
Where the powerless are yearning to breathe free.
    May we fight for justice, till there's justice for all, 
    and become what God meant us to be."

   If God points out injustice that is possible for me to help right, then it is up to me to act in some way. First of all I have to have eyes to see and ears to hear that injustice crying out. Then, realizing that it is God that is doing the pointing, I look to Him for my part in this story.

   God help me to see, and care.

No comments:

Post a Comment