Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Presents or Presence?

   As I sit here this morning, after reading the Psalm portion for today, the thought comes to me that there is a correlation between what my 3 grand kids here in VA look to me for, and what God must desire from me in these early morning times.

   The most prevalent questions that I get from these little ones each time we get to be around each other are:

   Papa can we....?

   Papa will you....?

   Then it strikes me. They do not want me to go out and buy them some present at the store, or go out some place where they can experience a new thing. They just want me to give them some attention. They just want me to spend some time with them.

   And, of course, it is not hard for me to oblige them in that. I love them and want to be around them as they share their lives with me.

   Is that not also true with God? If I come to Him in these moments before everyone else gets up, not looking for presents, but just His presence, is that not what He desires as well?

   God has blessed me far and above all that I could ever imagine, but what I look for in these times is just His presence, to know He cares for and loves me. That may be selfish on my part, but I truly believe that it is what God desires also, my acknowledgment of Him and my love.

   So, what will my answers be to the two questions above, when those 3 get up this morning?

  Papa?

   You bet!

   What do you want to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment